The Birmingham Zine Festival returns in July 2011 to celebrate alternative publications! It will feature a varied collection of exhibitors who self-publish books, comics and magazines. Over 30 individual zine-makers and distributors are coming from all over the country to display and sell their work. Members of the public are invited to browse the work on show and take part in our workshops.
The first ever Birmingham Zine Festival took place in September 2010. It is run by volunteers who wish to celebrate and showcase exciting work that is published by independent artists and writers. Building on the success of our previous event, this year’s festival is shaping up to be even bigger and better!
Monday 4th – Sunday 10th July
• Zine Art Exhibition at 6/8 Kafé, featuring artwork from some of our zine fair exhibitors.
Friday 8th – Friday 22nd July 2011
• Gareth Courage Exhibition at We Are Birmingham, featuring artwork for the independent record and publishing label, First Fold.
Saturday 9th July 2011
• The Birmingham Zine Fair takes place at We Are Birmingham, 12 noon to 6pm. Badge-making and drawing workshops will be running throughout the day. Refreshments will also be available.
• T-shirt Printing Workshop hosted by Get A Grip will take place at The Custard Factory, at 12 noon. Space is limited, so early booking is advised.
• BBQ provided by The Jekyll and Hyde pub in their courtyard, 6pm – 9pm.
• Aftershow Party hosted by Sugarfoot Stomp will take place at the Jekyll and Hyde pub, in the Gin Parlour, 8pm – 1.30am.
Sunday 10th July 2011
• Zine Picnic at Cannonhill Park. Meet us in the park at 2pm for an informal gathering. Bring some food and bring some zines!
Saturday 23rd July 2011
• T-shirt Printing Workshops hosted by Get A Grip will take place at The Custard Factory, at 12 noon and 4pm. Again, space is limited, so early booking is advised.
July 2011 TBC
• Film Night featuring contributions from Kino 10. In addition, Rob Horrocks will be hosting a show and tell.
• Book making, book binding and kids lino/block printing workshops.
See our events page for further details.